Welcome to Class 9
Welcome to Class 9. My name is Sarah and I am the teacher in this class. I have a fantastic team working with me. The team members are Ashleigh the Curriculum Teaching Assistant, Stacey, Jenny, Rebecca, Lisa and Sharon.
We begin each day with a registration activity, students look in the mirror, find their photograph and name cards and put them on the board. We then do some number work, we count how many students are in class and find the corresponding number card.
Every day we have a focussed lesson where we all work together. I have included a timetable below so that you can see what your child will be doing each day. We also have Exploration and Play lessons which are linked to subjects, for example on Monday playing has a music theme.
We love to take our learning outdoors. We give the students in class 9 lots of opportunity to play and explore outside the class room. We also go out for a daily walk around the nature trail. This term we are also taking our shared story lesson outside as we go for a ‘Bear Hunt’ in Fountaindale’s woodland. With this in mind we would really appreciate it if you could ensure that your child has clothing that is suitable for the weather.
|Monday||PE and Music||Shared Story|
|Thursday||Cooking and Maths||Art and DT|
|Friday||Geography and Science||Shared Story|
We have welcomed back two more of our students who have not been in school since pre lockdown. It’s been magical to see our student’s friendships rekindle after almost 7months apart!
I can’t believe how much our students in Class 9 have achieved over the last two weeks.
This is just a snippet of what we have been doing:
- Art themed Exploration and play sessions – We have been busy transforming our classroom into our shared story “We’re Going on a Bear Hunt”. We’ve had a group painting session to create a large woodland mural for the deep dark forest, using paint and shaving foam.
Small groups working on the swirling whirling snowstorm hanging mobile making snowflakes and snow. Tying strands of material to a rope for Swishy swashy grass.
- Maths- Number recognition. Focusing on numbers 1-3.
We have been really creative and made our own “Bear Hunt” song.
- Reading – Shared story “Going on a Bear Hunt”
Taking our learning outdoors we are incorporating our shared story when walking on the nature trail. It really sets the scene when we walk through the “deep dark forest” and finding the Bear in a “narrow gloomy cave”.
- P.E- With the weather being nice we have taken advantage of using the MUGA. We are focusing on recognising familiar pieces of equipment; we have been rolling and throwing balls of different weights and sizes. Playing team games of football and skittles incorporating Maths and turn taking.
- Exploration and Play – We have taken our indoor learning environment outdoors. Encouraging our students to use their sense’s and explore the play trays filled with cornflour, thick oozy mud and water.
- Class 9 access the food technology room on Thursday morning. Incorporating Maths and Science, weighing measuring counting. We have made apple crumble using the switch activated blender. Vanilla cheesecake, bashing the biscuits with the rolling pin, taking turns to use the whisk.
The best part is getting to taste the finish product. This week is Chocolate trifle.
With the weather beginning to change please can you send your child with the appropriate clothing eg Waterproof coat, poncho, wellies etc as we will still be accessing the outdoor area in all weathers – When safe to do so.
Class Update 14.09.2020
We have all had a fantastic first week back at Fountaindale and are settling well into our new routines. This term we are hoping to spend lots of time outside, and this week have made the most of the lovely weather by taking our books and toys out on to the grass outside of our class to play. We have also used the woodland nature trail for our daily walk.
Our class story this term is ‘Going on a Bear Hunt’. It is an old favourite and has been chosen by the students. Our class is currently being transformed into a forest, and during our walks we are collecting items to bring the outside in!